Home

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Philosophy of a Sandwich

(Further?) proof that not all things are synergistic:

I was making my usual sandwich of rye bread, salame, turkey, and pickles. I munched on a slice of turkey as I was putting the sandwich together, and was struck by how good it was, and how I couldn't taste it at all in the sandwich, smothered as it was by the other ingredients. I had given that no thought when I was grocery shopping; just assumed that because I liked all these things, they would naturally be even better together. (The Reese's cup phenomenon, perhaps).

Anyway, I feel like I have been missing out on what could have been better sandwiches if I had just kept the meats separate, rather than combining. Now I know.



I also dreamt last night that I was cooking the most delectable dishes. I remember asparagus, chicken, pasta.... Oh, the tastes and smells! I seriously think being off the college meal plan has revived my love for food.

No comments: