Home

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

change | time

I had an interesting conversation with a professor this morning at breakfast; about trusting your instincts, decision-making, and sticking to your guns. He even quoted a passage of Hamlet to me:

This above all: to thine ownself be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

I have been thinking about this a lot, not the specific passage, but the subject in general, as senior year wanes and I prepare to face the Rest of My Life after June. But our conversation touched at thoughts I have been battling with for as long as I remember. It is, as with almost all things, a fine balance: between following your own path and staying true to yourself, and trusting in the advice and thoughts of those around you.

Because even though I often do feel confusion and uncertainty about my life and the choices I make, I've also often felt that I am acting out someone else's life rather than my own, and that only adds to the chaos. It's difficult knowing whether or not I'm doing the right thing for myself all of the time, what with the various influences, factors, and pressures constantly pulling me one way or another.

I don't want to have regrets. I want to make the most out of the time I have. Other than that... Anything goes.

No comments: