Home

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Unconventional Ideas

I've found this website, Unconventional Ideas, that just about sums up the way I look at life, and at my own future in particular. My first thought at stumbling upon this site was, "That's not a very well designed site." And my second thought after reading a couple of the essays was, "This is just like that Paul Graham essay a friend sent me a few months ago!"

The essays in the site are all very digestible, written in the "to the people, by the people" way that reminds me of a close friend or relative giving frank advice. And the site is filled with insightful and peppy quotes, many of which I've "collected" at one time or another (I am a packrat and collector of all things, quotes included).

A tidbit from one of the essays, entitled "Turn Off, Tune Out, Drop In: A Simple Living Primer":

Forming lasting relationships, giving service to causes in which you deeply believe, or pursuing hobbies with passion--each could give you infinitely more satisfaction than spending your energy hoarding possessions. Clear out the clutter. Free yourself for the things you really love to do, or always wanted to try.

How much more leisure time would you have if you owned less stuff which require regular repairs, maintenance and upgrades? Consider Henry David Thoreau’s insight that the "cost of a thing is the amount of...life which is required to be exchanged for it immediately or in the long run." Do you really want to obligate your future leisure time with caring for a lot of possessions? Would you rather be doing something else? Is it possible that too much baggage could keep you from doing some of the things you've always wanted to do? Could selling off a bunch of unused stuff help to make those dreams a reality?

And on a completely unrelated note, one of my absolute favorite Daily Show clips:

No comments: